Thursday, July 12, 2007

Can love be learned?

I just got back from BKK last Monday. Shopping nor the elephants and temples were not my major priorities. I went there mainly to attend a friend’s wedding. It was not any ordinary wedding… it was an arranged Indian wedding. I felt like I was watching a foreign film without the subtitles because the events were in Indian or whatever that language was.

I still cannot believe that she got married. Imagine, she is only 23! My friend never introduced a boyfriend, or if ever she did, it was different guy. Anyway, I am not sure who the guy is. I never got introduced! They said that the guy is a family friend or they met through a matchmaker of some sort. Well, whatever the circumstances are, when did marriage become an institution? I am not sure if my friend have some passionate feelings towards the guy.. but at least they said the guy respects her. Then again, is it possible to learn to love someone for the sake of your family name? Maybe that is how Indian culture goes.

Do not get me wrong, I enjoyed every moment of it. It was a different experience. I just hoped someone explained what was going on. All the same, I am very thankful that she invited me and even shouldered the accommodations at this 5 star hotel.

No comments: