Wednesday, May 25, 2011

On Ultimate Sport

Skills
It is a given that in every sport one must have skills. There are different skill levels but it is ideal to have a good foundation. So the questions are: What skills do I lack and need to work on? What skills do I currently possess and could improve on?

Physical Fitness
The fitter athlete has an advantage even if skill level is not the same. Nothing can replace physical fitness especially in long points/games. What do I need to increase my endurance, stamina, explosiveness, etc?

Opponents
It pays to know the opponent. As stated in the Art of War, It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the opponent? How can I capitalize?

Resilience
The battle is not over until the time has elapsed or a team has reached a certain number of points. If none of those situations are met, the show must go on despite whatever the circumstances are. How can I continue to play and give it my all even if we are behind/tired? How can I not be affected whenever others are demoralized? How can I keep the good morale?

Team
Ultimate is a team sport. In team, Together Everyone Achieves More. What can I do to help the team? What is my role? Are my goals aligned with the goals of the team?

No comments: