Tuesday, July 19, 2011

On Team Sport

I was immersed in sports at a very young age. During summer, I used to play those kiddies running games aka monkey monkey, shake shake shampoo, etc. with my cousins from my mom's side and neighbors. During Sunday lunch with my dad's side, I was the saling pusa when my cousins played ball at the garden. At school, lunch was reserved for patintero or 10-20 and dismissal was for badminton, kickball, table tennis, shooting or whatever game we came up with. Come grade 6, I was asked to join the basketball varsity. Basketball has been a huge part of my life until I graduated high school. Come college I planned to concentrate on my studies but things did not turn out as planned. I was recruited during Fresh Start and played the whole 4 years. When I started to work, there was badminton Mondays. Yet I still felt sluggish. I felt that my concern was heard. One of my college teammates YM-ed me and asked if I was interested to join their competitive team. As if basketball was not enough and I entertained Ultimate.

In the numerous games, tournaments, leagues or whatever you call those, I only experienced one championship. But this hasn't stopped me from playing and giving my all in each instance. I guess I would not stop until my body cannot take it anymore.

Fact: In every team sport there will always be a winning team and a losing team. I always strive to be part of the winning team. How about you?

No comments: