Friday, September 23, 2011

On Hobby

If you do something regularly it would be difficult to get out of it especially if it is something you have invested on and is already a huge part of your life. I started to engage in sports at an early age. I first picked up a basketball when I was at Kinder. During summer vacations, I would play patintero, cops and robbers, monkey-monkey and the like with my cousins and neighbors. My parents also enrolled me at swimming classes when I was seven. During grade school, I ate lunch under a tree at the driveway. After 20 minutes, I was up and about and played patintero, land-water-air, 10-20 or relay. Dismissal was time for badminton and shooting some baskets.

At grade 6 I became a member of the basketball varsity until I graduated highschool. When I entered college, I had every intention to stop and concentrate on my studies but someone approached me and asked me to play and I did. I had a short break when I got employed and picked up a badminton racket once a week to keep fit. But I eventually got back to basketball with my fellow addicts. Iba na talaga pag first love.

Come 2009 I was introduced to my second love – Ultimate. Mondays weren't that blue and Wednesdays weren't camel-like anymore because I had something to look forward after work on non-basketball days. Clearly, my life evolved around sports.

Over the past two weeks I stopped my urge to engage in sports. I choose to distance myself with my teammates so I won't get jealous. Then again, who am I kidding? My mind is in tuned with what's happening to my teams.

My officemate asked me, other than sports, what do I do? I cannot seem to find an answer and reflected if I can a life without sports. I think would go insane. But I am still alive after two weeks. I guess one of these days I will learn to accept a routine without sports. I just need to pick up another hobby.

Any suggestions?

No comments: