Friday, November 25, 2011

On Veins

My veins are not thick. This has been a challenge for most nurses/doctors and the like for a decade now. When I was in college, I fainted in the bathroom while doing number 1/2. I decided to have myself checked later that afternoon after my class since I had a test wherein I did bad anyway. On the way home I asked my dad to bring me to the hospital. He brought me to the ER and the nurses did their protocol. Next thing I knew, I was admitted. While I was half asleep I half heard that they needed to put IV on me. First attempt was a failure. The nurse was not able to find my vein so she had to call a fellow nurse and eventually a doctor to do the job.

When bunso had dengue last year, I volunteered to donate. However, when the nurse check my veins, it did not pass. Manipis daw. On top of that, I was underweight daw and yeah, I had slight sniffles. I guess blood donation is a NO for me. :(

Last October, my veins played its part once again at Singapore. I don't know if it is the training there or my veins are simply hard to find lang talaga,. She had a take-two before she was able to get blood successfully. First she  tried the left side because the week before I had blood taken in PI at the same side. I felt the needle, but I guess she did not do it right and nothing went to the tube. So she tried the right side and thank God she got it this time. All she uttered was, "This side, good side. Other side, no blood". But when I looked at my left arm there was blood naman. *Ahh, okay.*

If two was charm, it was not when I had my PCL reconstructed. I had myself admitted the night before the procedure for the pre-operation ekek. They advised fasting... no food after 10 and no liquids after 12. At around 11, 2 nurses came in to put IV. They where I wanted it. I said at my left hand since I am right handed. On they went to my left side, but failed. So they went back to my right side and checked. They tried and failed again. They told me they'll ask my doctor if they can use a child's needle. After 15 minutes, a lady doctor came in. She was nice and gentle. She was careful. Checked both hands and decided to try her luck at my left hand. Sadly, she failed. At least she was apologetic and she did not attempt again because "I had too much" already. I thought that was the end of it. But no! After a couple of minutes a guy doctor came in. He was too confident. As in dire-direcho lang siya. Sa sobrang sakit napa-iyak ako. Parang akong tanga, pero promise, ramdam na ramdam ko yung needle! My tears weren't enough, he tried again but this time he was slightly careful. Pero hindi din e. Hindi nila nakabit. Natusok lang ako ng 5 beses! If you count the blood sample and bleed check, I was pricked 7 times that night!

They decided not to put IV anymore and informed my ortho. The next day I was brought to the OR for my PCL reconstruction. I was lying pretty on the table when my Anesthesiologist entered and briefed me. Then he went frantic when he realized that I didn't have IV yet. He injected a local anesthesia then proceeded with the IV but my vein popped due to last night. Then he did the same procedure again and finally okay na!

Makes me wonder... are my veins thin? Or it just neglects needles and hospitals?

No comments: